Check out these great articles from my fellow Independent Fashion bloggers:
- 39thandbroadway.com - We are fierce, fabulous, fashionable women; now show us our freakin money!
- Calgary Fashion - Calgarian Up and Coming Designer raises the bar for Project Runway Canada contestants.
- Couture Allure - An open letter to Blumarine about body image in their advertising.
- fashion in my eyes - Tour de Paris
- féte à féte - Givenchy spring beauty colors!
- Independent Fashion Bloggers - IFB wants you to DRESS UP for a global soirée
- Iwanttowearit. - Karl and Katsyua Kamo rock the paper and scissors for the Chanel couture show. Arts and crafts never looked so glam!
- LeCityKitty - An even edgier option of blacl polish, Flatte Black by Knock Out. Oui Si Chic
- Little Black Book - Exploring the fusion of fashion and music through singer songwriter Lady GaGa
- Mademoiselle Robot - Worshiping John Waters & getting inspired by his films
- Modelizing - bergdorf goodman 5f window display
- Or False Glitter - Pondering negative male perceptions of my style!
- reLYME - Smashbox’s new spring live brings out your inner muse.
- Shopping and Info - Shopping and Info found Angelina Jolie’s Hippie Chic black dress for Spring 2009.
- Solo Lisa y Nada Mas - Menswear-inspired looks for the ladies
- Style Symmetry - Eyeliah sits for 10 artists to paint her portrait… not naked!
- Technology Starlet - Journey of a Pro Fashion Techie and her HP Mini Vivienne Tam Edition
- THE COVETED - Packing light for the compulsive over packer.
- the musings of ondo lady - Meet Chanel Ward, the fabulous blogger who brings us Hip Candy as well as six other blogs including Michele O. Style.
Alright guys, I must address this. I am a regular gym rat and I am seeing some pretty gnarly outfits at the gym. Just because you're pumping iron and breaking a sweat doesn't mean that you're suddenly no longer in public. It's not ok to wear a t-shirt so old that it's practically sheer. Let's set some ground rules! Here are 10 fashion tips for the gym:
1. Makeup Even though you're in public, it is not a good idea to wear full blown makeup. If you're serious about working out, you will be sweating and soon enough, your eyeliner and mascara will run. If you're going to the gym straight from work, most of your makeup has probably worn off from the day so that amount of makeup is perfectly acceptable. I'm talking about girls purposefully slapping on a bunch of makeup and showing up to work out. It makes me believe you're not serious about your workout routine. Now, I do realize that the gym is a great place to meet guys, but as proven in my previous post, "How Guys Really Feel About Makeup", guys tend to prefer it natural. You're there to workout and no one will take you seriously with all that, as my fiance puts it, "clown whore makeup". The glow you get from a great workout at the gym can never be bought in a bottle. If there's a cute trainer you're trying to impress, I suggest light powdering of the face to smooth out your skin, but that's it. So get your glow on naturally.
2. 80s Leotards Jane Fonda called and she needs her suits back. Yes, I'm talking about the ladies with the metallic spandex pants with the one piece "bathing suit" layered on top. Why do these things still exist? Where are they being purchased, and which corporate office number do I need to call to get these pulled from the shelves? Oh gosh...is it possible, these are hand me downs?! I hope not, because leotards are not hot and they're unsanitary. Seriously, when people wear this, it makes me wonder...are they not looking around them? Ain't nobody wearing that no more! And you know this look isn't cheap. When I see the spandex and leotards, it's usually coordinated with a matching headband, wristbands and legwarmers. I appreciate the effort of coordination....so thanks...but no thanks. Please let Jane keep her 80s gear and opt for something hotter to work out in.
3. Jewelry You may think I'm imagining things, but I have seen people wear full blown jewelry while on the treadmill. I'm talking watches, charm bracelets, and today this lady had her sunglasses on her head (she was on the bike barely peddling). And for the guys, I've seen the gold bracelet and gold necklaces as well. Let me tell you something: Not only is it annoying to be working out and wearing all that jewelry, you're tarnishing it by sweating all over it. So please, do yourself a favor and leave your jewelry at home or put it away if you're serious about getting a great workout.
4. Belly Shirts Please don't show your abs if you don't have any. There's really no need to show your abs if you're sporting a one pack, and by one pack I mean "one big mess". Seriously. As much as we think it's great you're taking steps toward a healthier body, we are not so interested in the before pictures without seeing the after. Although I do wonder....why is it ok to wear just your sports bra when you have nice abs anyway? Of course it's acceptable if you're a trainer and I'm not against this, but if you have a nice butt, why aren't people wearing cutout butt pants then? That would be hilarious, but would end up in an immediate fashion arrest. All I'm saying is, don't set yourself up to be talked about. Choose things that flatter you and hide what doesn't.
5. NCAA Circa 1965 Shorts Guys, I'm talking to you. If you weren't part of the John Wooden Dynasty, it's time to retire those tight short shorts. Not only are your "goods" more likely to fall out, it's just so perverted. This is where I see pasty, hairy, sweating legs and it is not cute. Invest in basketball shorts if you're going to go for shorts and cover up the legs if you haven't tanned in a while. You like girls with the tan, and we want you to have a healthy sun tan as well. If you haven't been out in the sun since 1965, go for athletic pants. Those are hot.
6. Shoes Now in my "Fashions for Nerds" post, I say don't wear gym shoes. Well, guess where you are? And guess what you should be wearing. Yes...gym shoes. I have seen men wear their Timberlands or dress shoes in. I have seen girls with walking shoes like Keds. These types of shoes will keep you from maximizing your workout potential, and they do not give you the support you need. Also, if your gym shoes were once white and now they're brown, or if I can see the color of your socks and your toes wiggle because of the holes, please get a new pair. It's not that much -- I've seen Asics for $30, so there is no economic reason why you can't afford some inexpensive gym shoes when you spend $50/mo. on a gym membership. Invest in yourself!
7. Bras Perhaps you think this might be too obvious, but I have seen it! Girls wearing their regular bras to workout in. No, please don't. Not only are you sweating all over your bra, you're shortening the life of your bra and it does not give you the support you need. Ladies (and some guys), invest in a well fitted sports bra to give you the support you need when running or doing any other vigorous exercises.
8. Hairy Chest Guys, again...you. There is nothing worse than feeling like the guy next to you on the treadmill might try to sell you a car. A hairy chest just seems perverted too. Us girls have been doing it forever and it's not just about us anymore -- you guys need to do general upkeep too. Now I do realize that some men may be a little more cavemen, so I'm going to take it one step at a time with you guys. If you're too lazy to shave your full chest, at least shave from the nipple line up. I mean, as long as I don't see your curly chest hair peek through your t-shirt like a hair scarf, I'm cool with that. Of course, if you're going out on a hot date and you're looking to get some action afterwards, that's a different story. Go for the full shave. If you have the razor out, might as well address the whole area.
9. Thongs Ladies...please try not to wear a thong when working out. I feel I have to mention this for your own health and safety. I do not want to put out fires at the gym from your buttcheeks rubbing together, and I definitely don't want you to chafe. Also, you are more likely to develop infections (I am not trying to be gross) if you don't wear proper underwear when working out. Please, this is not a place to be sexy, so leave the thongs for another day and go for cotton panties.
10. Shave Ok...let's be honest. Girls do cheat in the winter time and we don't shave as often (oh gawd, I hope this isn't just me or this will be so embarrassing). But when you're going to the gym, be aware and choose proper clothes to wear accordingly. If you are taking a yoga class, maybe choose long pants with an elastic cuff at the bottom so your pants won't slide up when you attempt the crouching tiger upside down dragon yoga move. You don't want to show your brillo pad legs. Rule of thumb: if your legs feel rough enough to sand down steel, please do not display. Nothing worst than having to be self- conscious at the gym when you're trying to work out. So get the appropriate pants or refer to my "Hair Removal Techniques" post to get rid of that unwanted hair.
So there you have it. I have broken my silence and feel I have done my part in making the gym an even more attractive place to be. Shed those pounds and look great doing it! Happy working out!
My friend Justin recently asked me to help him with his style because he mostly wears plaids. Well, lucky for him, plaids are back and they're even hotter on men. Don't make the mistake of wearing plaids like Pete Doherty would wear. I don't know what can help a guy like him except for many many showers, a year full of intense detox, followed by braces. Why are supermodels into this? Or was it just Kate Moss? And as my friend Ellen pointed out in my Plaids for Womens post, you can end up looking like a lumberjack. I'm talking about how guys can wear plaids successfully in different ways. So my very fashion forward gay boyfriend Trent and I went shopping and we found some great ways to pull it off.
How to wear plaid successfully in 6 different ways:
1. The Grungy Plaid Look
To pull off a grungy look without looking dirty: Get a graphic t-shirt of your favorite band and wear it underneath your plaid shirt. Layer it with a zip-up or hoodie and with fitted jeans (not too tight, I don't want to see all of the bulges, it makes me blush.)... and BAM! You're instantly grungier....and you've showered...well I'm hoping you did anyway. If you wear a big plaid pattern, it wouldn't be committing to the grungy style, so choose a small pattern.
2. The Rocker Plaid Look
I love this hoodie with the subtle but big plaid pattern. It's paired with black jeans and a skull belt. You know, just in case anyone second guessed his plaid look, he wanted to let you know he's still a badass rocker. The results? Success. I don't think you should limit yourself with just a black tone on tone plaid. Rockers can be flamboyant (remember the 80s?) and their style stands out. So choose bold colors and fun..ahem...I mean...badass/skull/death accessories to top off this look.
3. The Preppy Plaid Look
There are many different styles that can be considered preppy. Mostly it means that the look is well coordinated, neat and clean. Now I used this example of David Beckham in my Cardigans for Guys post, but he's just full of style and fashion yumminess that I have to use him again. His use of plaid AND the cardigan here....wow...amazing! Fashion trend use overload, but in a good way! Hmmm...Victoria must dress him. If he dresses himself, I'd have to wonder if he's batting for the other team. Either way, he's just hotness.
4. The Urban Plaid Look
I love the urban look. It's clean, casual, yet preppy and it's about swagga. You must pull this look off with confidence -- almost to the point of obnoxious arrogance. Usher is a style icon and he's always so sharp and trendy. To successfully pull off an urban look, you should go for slightly baggier jeans, a white undershirt and an unbuttoned plaid shirt to top it off. It's all about the accessories and the bling for this style. Which is probably why I love it so much. Get a flashy necklace, belt and some cool kicks to finish off the look. Oh yea..and the sunglasses...don't forget those...especially at night....then you have to walk around like "no pictures please"...even if no one is there. Trust me, people will only think you're crazy if you don't commit. Oh yea and try to have an entourage. It's definitely more credible when you have an entourage.
5. The Euro Plaid Look
I want the Fashion for Nerds readers to consider this look when trying to figure out your own style. I only say this because I think European men are just more comfortable in their skin and usually embrace the nerd look that works. In this picture, we have a classic euro style. From the trench coat to the sweater vest, with the plaid underneath, I'm liking how this worked out. It's kind of nerdy, but you can see with all the layering involved, it looks like this guy knows what he's doing. Well, except the hair...I'm not really digging that.
6. The Outdoorsy / Abercrombie Plaid Look
My friend and I saw this at Zara and I was instantly drawn. The hoodie over the plaid is a thin material and it dresses up the look. The jacket gives a more casual feel, so it took me through an emotional rollercoaster. In the end, it was a good balance of texture, pattern and style to complete a successful outdoorsy look.
So there you have it. Justin and his wife can now go shopping for different ways to make use of his plaids. I hope my suggestions give you different ideas to switch up your wardrobe too.
Hey guys, just wanted you to know there's a huge sale at Pier 1 Imports. If you're looking to use your tax refund towards furniture and other things for your home, they have great stuff! There's lots of fantastic finds at 75% off! Visit their store or log onto the Pier 1 website to browse all the goodies!