Check out these great articles from my fellow Independent Fashion bloggers:
- 39thandbroadway.com - Why our obsession for fast fashion is causing designers to burn-out and result in less innovative wardrobe choices for you!
- Breakfast at Saks - Style vs. Comfort: What to wear when you’re traveling
- dramatis personae - Mischief-Managed Media: My So-Called Life…
- fashion forestry - Dressing like San Francisco architecture
- fashion in my eyes - For the love of shoes
- fete a fete - Lia Lintern custom fitted luxe coats!
- Hello, Lover… Shoe Daydreams - The famous SATC: The Movie “Something Blue” shoe is now not blue?
- Hollow Star - Spring fashion trends I’m most excited about
- Independent Fashion Bloggers - In the Name of the Blog
- Iwanttowearit - Kids who dress themselves will make you smile. I promise.
- Mademoiselle Robot - Getting summer wardrobe inspiration from Robert Mulligan’s The Man in the Moon.
- Nico Assatly - Accessories Junkie
- Retro Chick - Warm Chunky Knits for Work, Rest & Play
- Shopping and Info - Shopping and Info loves Nicole Richie’s Balenciaga platform black boots.
- Solo Lisa y Nada Mas - How to shop for a purse you’ll love
- Studio Purpura - Weekly Editor’s Picks - Resolution to Ladies Pesky Fashion Issues!
- Style Symmetry - Eyeliah calls skirts over dresses a trend to watch!
- Style Tabloid - Staring off the New Year with work-out resolutions? Stick to your plans with the help of some cute work-out outfits inspired by your favorite celebrities!
- THE COVETED - How to Dress for Cold Weather
- the musings of ondo lady - Ok so we had The Real OC and The Real Housewives of Orange County so make way for The Real Gossip Girls.
Ok…what is the number one New Year’s Resolution? LOSE WEIGHT! Take off those holiday cookie pounds and get ready for the summer right?? Well let me let you in on a secret…you don’t need a gym membership; your treadmill is outside honey! Anywhere you can put your foot down and continue walking is nature’s equivalent to a treadmill. All you need are hand weights, a jump rope, and the ability to step outside. Annddd….you HAVE TO HAVE THIS BOOK!
He is the celebrity trainer who train celebs like Halle Berry and you know she’s got a pretty hot bod. But I personally could not take off the extra 15 lbs. until I read this book and followed everything he said. Well, also with the help of my certified trainer, Dr. Katelyn (check out her featured posts on my health and wellness section.) to motivate me and make sure I was doing things correctly. However, this book is awesome! What I love is that it’s totally attainable and doable! No crazy workout routines, just simple strength training mixed with a little bit of cardio goes a long way! Get this book; it’s the only way you’ll achieve your New Year’s resolution!
However, if you do need the motivation of other people who have the same resolution as you, absolutely join the gym! I still suggest getting this book and do it there because you can run on a treadmill for days, and if you don’t know what you’re doing, you’ll just have really strong legs and still have your holiday inner tube…and that does not float in the pool during the summertime…just so you know.
Spring $10 for this book on amazon.com before shelling out hundreds on other things that don’t work. I assure you, it’s worth every penny!
In the spirit of New Year's and all of it's resolutions, I'm holding a contest where I will be giving away a copy of 5-Factor Fitness. To enter, simply fill out the form below and tell me what your New Year's Resolutions are. Contest ends January 30, 2009. Must be 18 or over to enter.
Congratulations to our winner, Magdalene from Canada!
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah), known as the "mother of all grains," is my pick for one of the best protein sources and rice replacement. Of course, we all know white rice is not the first choice when it comes to staying slim. It is high in carbs and low in protein. As a healthier choice, some people eat brown rice instead of white. But quinoa, in my opinion, stands head and shoulders above even brown rice. Its protein content is very high (12-18%) and it's low in carbs, which is especially important for vegetarians and vegans. What's more, it is a complete protein source, containing a balanced set of essential amino acids. Quinoa is also a great source of fiber and high in magnesium and iron; you just can't argue with the power in its punch! And the best quality? It tastes great!
! Erectile dysfunction (ED) treatment can be effective.
Prepare quinoa as you would prepare rice. I use a rice cooker to make life easier for myself. Use one part quinoa to two parts water. For example, put one cup of quinoa and two cups of water into your rice cooker, put the lid on, press the "cook" button and you're done! (To make quinoa extra tasty, use vegetable broth instead of water). You can make great vegetable pilaf with this, or just eat it with stir-fry. Like I said, it is a great rice substitute, so add it wherever you would add rice in your dishes. Bon appetit!
Looking for some quinoa cookbooks? Try these:
Everyone has an inner nerd somewhere...I most certainly do! If you're a nerd, you should absolutely embrace it, but don't set yourself up to be ridiculed when you wear things that don't flatter you and most certainly doesn't separate you from the stereo typical nerdy look. I'm going to name off 10 nerdy things that you may currently be wearing and tell you what you can replace it with...AND still feel comfortable. Here it goes!
- Company Logo Shirts: C'mon really? Are you really wearing that? Now unless it is a fabulous stylewithanna shirt...your IT company logo screams "HI I'M A NERD, I JUST THOUGHT I'D LET MY COMPANY DRESS ME." No honey, NO! Company logo shirts are free and meant to be used if you must wear that to work, or for laundry day, or when you're doing yardwork or painting or any other household chores where it is acceptable to "rough it". If you're a t-shirt and jeans kind of person, that's fine! Try layering different colored t-shirts with no logo, or if you're going to go with a logo, brand name honey -- that's what they're there for. Same goes for polos: brand name or no name is fine. Now make sure if you're a skinny guy, you don't shop in the kids section for your t-shirts where your shirt barely covers your belly button. Get a shirt that is at least halfway down your butt. And make sure it's not too wide or too fitted. A rule of thumb: if you spread your arms out to the side, you should have about 1" to 2" between you and the t-shirt on either side of you. Find your own swagger though! Feel confident in what you're wearing and don't show your insecurities.
- Tucked in Shirts: Now when you tuck in your shirt, don't tuck it in all the way and then walk out the door! You must pull some shirt out so it doesn't look so uptight. Of course dress shirts and certain occasions call for tucking in your shirt, but if you're out with friends, relaaaaax. Pull out your shirt and it will actually help you feel more comfortable in most situations. Same rules apply with buttoning your shirts. You should not button them so far up that people need to perform CPR on you because you've choked and passed out. Please do not button your shirts all the way up! It's extremely uncomfortable to do and to look at! One of the ways you can exude confidence is by relaxing and really looking like you're relaxed. Unbutton the top 1 or 2 buttons and wear a white undershirt. It makes you more comfortable with your look and your body, and less awkward in social situations.
- Pleated Pants: I don't even know why these things exist. Pleated pants never looked good on anyone! It makes your hips look big and when you sit down, it puffs up and gives you an air roll at your crotch area. Not hot! When you're wearing dress pants, go for a straight fit. It fits better and is definitely more flattering!
- Gym Shoes: I know they're comfortable, but if you're going to go with comfortable shoes, go with something not so bulky. Instead of gym shoes, go for something similar to these Payless Airwalk Kicks.They're inexpensive, comfortable, light weight and trendier.
- Phone Clipped on Belt: Unless you're in business attire or sell cell phones at the mall, you should never clip your phone to your belt. It's bulky and weighs down one side of your pants which sometimes result in showing your underroos. Definitely do not clip your phone onto your belt if you have a ghetto phone! I've seen it, it's not good. If you haven't spent the extra money to upgrade your phone, it needs to be hidden in your pocket. Just don't do it, it's tacky!
- Fat Wallets: Wait a sec...is that a third buttcheek? No, it's your wallet! I know you don't carry around that much cash, so why is your wallet so fat?? Sometimes those receipts that we can't bear to throw away, needs to be thrown away! Clean out your wallet once a month and ditch any old receipts or papers that may be fattening up your wallet, causing you to be lopsided when you sit down. There is no reason to look like you have a 3rd buttcheek when we spend so much money trying to slim down the 2 that we already have. Clean out your wallet!
- Jackets: In order to stay warm and look good, you have to shop for one that fits you properly. Guys can throw on a jacket and look so slick and stylish. I love the look on guys during the winter time when they layer on sweaters, a jacket and scarf...hot. Make sure it flatters your figure. I do not want to see bubbly jackets with the tight elastic at the bottom cutting off your circulation and making you look all round and puffy on top. Here are some options to consider.
- Eyewear: Let people see your eyes! Let people know who you really are and let them look into your eyes. Don't use your glasses to hide behind -- people want to get to know you and you want to get to know them. If you're hiding, you're not giving other people the time of day and that's why people stay away from you. Now I'm not always suggesting that you have to wear contacts. If you're more comfortable with glasses, there are such things as trendy glasses. Bring a fashionable friend or consult with the eyewear specialist to find the frames that are trendy and fit your face. Frames Direct offers a huge selection of designer frames.
- Hair: You guys give me no median here. You either have way too much gel here and your hair looks like a comb over helmet, or it's too messy like you just rolled out of bed. Try using hair wax.
It gives you a more natural look and still holds your hair in place so it's easy to style and it doesn't give you that stiff hair effect.
- The Unibrow: Yes....this is classic. In no way shape or form would you ever need a hair trail that goes from one side of your forehead to the other. Wax, shave, pluck, do whatever you need to do to separate your eyebrows. You are supposed to have 2. You have 2 eyes, and an eyebrow goes on top of each one of those beautiful eyes. Not in the middle somewhere random by itself. Do not let yourself be made fun of when you can easily get rid of the unibrow. Check back for future post on the best hair removal techniques, but for now, any technique you use to remove that hair is absolutely necessary!
There you have it, your first few steps to being a more fashionable nerd. It's ok to embrace your inner nerd! My tips are for you to not get yourself made fun of to have even more issues to tell your therapist about. Hope this helps, if you have questions, leave me comments!